Protecting Against the Realities of Substance Abuse
Substance Abuse: Make a point to talk about drinking and drugs with your teens.Talking about this issue is important. Parents and guardians and their middle school and high school students are invited and encouraged to attend together an upcoming “Protecting Against the Realities of Substance Abuse” program organized by Parents Reaching Out To Educate Communities Together (P.R.O.T.E.C.T.), a task force of the Unified Prevention Coalition of Fairfax County. School and community groups are encouraged to host this program.
At a presentation by P.R.O.T.E.C.T., discover the signs and symptoms of teenage drug abuse, what actions parents can take, and where to find supportive resources. Parents/guardians are encouraged to attend with their middle school and high school students to learn from hearing the personal stories of parents, young adults, and professionals about the dangers of substance abuse.
The most recent program in Fairfax County:
Thursday, January 24*, 2013, 7 p.m., Madison High School Warhawk Hall (Download Flyer) *Snowdate: Wednesday, February 13, 2013
Several P.R.O.T.E.C.T. members appeared on a panel in Montgomery County, Md., on May 16. See news clips:
- Don’t be An Ostrich About Teen Drug and Alcohol Use
- Montgomery County Faces Teen Substance Abuse at 'Epidemic' Proportions
- Montgomery comes together against alcohol, substance abuse
Articles about P.R.O.T.E.C.T. programs and speakers:
- 'Alicia's Compass': Law Inspired by Centreville Teen's Struggle With Heroin Addiction New law requires that hospitals, under certain conditions, educate patients and families about post-charge treatment and services. Read more of this article. View the legislation
- Parent-led group tries to raise awareness of drug abuse
- Speaking Out To Prevent Tragedies
- Any teen can get mixed up with drug abuse, parents say
- CAC Meeting: Greg Lannes Speaks About Teen Heroin Use
- P.R.O.T.E.C.T. Workshop Reaches Out to Parents, Kids
- The Damage Done: Heroin in Centreville and the death of Alicia Lannes (First of two parts)
- The Damage Done: Heroin in Centreville and the death of Alicia Lannes (Second of two parts)
What do you know about drugs and drug abuse? Take the National Drug IQ Challenge and find out.
Teenage Drug Use in Fairfax County: Download Youth Survey Fact Sheet
Parents might also find this tip sheet helpful: Tis the Season to Talk with Your Teens About Drinking and Drugs